Giant’s Castle Avian workshop/vulture hide excursion.
Our outings to Giant’s castle include 3 nights of accommodation with 3 dedicated sessions in the vulture hide.
We generally spend the mornings in the hide and the afternoons looking at our images, doing some processing or some landscape shooting.
You will receive hands on training by your host, Robbie Aspeling. Robbie is the recipient of a coveted Owl Award from Birdlife SA for his contribution to birding through photography. He has more than 30 years experience photographing birds and has been a regular speaker and trainer at many bird photography events throughout South Africa.
Giants Castle Game Reserve lies in the Central Berg region of the Ukhahlamba Drakensberg Park. It’s name comes from the silhouette of the mountain escarpment that resembles the profile of a sleeping giant. Giants castle camp is situated on a grassy plateau among the deep valleys running down from the face of the High Drakensberg, offering glorious views for hikers and mountain climbers.
The following is included in your fees:
- Standard room SHARING – serviced daily
- Bed linen, blankets & towels
- Snacks & non alcoholic beverages
- Hands on training by your host
- Transport to and from Giants Castle
- Alcoholic beverages, personal expenses and optional extra activities
Take careful note of what is included and what is excluded from the price.
Your travel plans are made entirely at your own risk and RA Photography / ABG Marketing / Robbie Aspeling will not accept responsibility for any flight cancellations, disruptions or delays on your way to Giants Castle.
- Early morning breakfast at 7.30am
- Depart for vulture hide at 8.00 am
- Open forum discussion and/or hands-on training relating to photography and related topics by your host photographer
- Depending on the activity at the hide, the time we leave the hide will vary accordingly
Other activities at Giants Castle
- The office and shop are open from 08:00 to 17:00 from Monday to Saturday and from 08:00 to 16:00 on Sunday
- The shop sells a wide range of curious and supplies
- Visit the Main Caves Museum for an insight into the past life of the San People – a 45 min walk from the camp
- There is a variety of self guided day walks through the lower parts of the park throughout the year, weather permitting. Routes are available from the camp office
- The weather is subject to change at short notice and hikers must be well equipped as it can get extremely cold. Hikers must also fill in their details in the mountain Rescue Register before proceeding on a hike.
- 15 kilometres of Trout fishing river – in season only
- Bird watching – over 170 known species of birds, including many raptors such as Bearded vulture and black Eagle
- You may encounter mainly Eland and other species of antelope, baboons, also some smaller mammals such as rock hyraxes (dassie) and Serval
- camera & lenses (lenses from 400mm – 600mm is the best to use)
- battery charger
- memory cards
- for landscape photography – tripod & landscape lenses
- laptop (to download images)
- power supply
- card reader
- bean bag
Clients are advised to arrange their own comprehensive travel insurance and medical emergency insurance. Please add your insurance details on the booking form, should you have these insurances in place.
No compulsory vaccinations are required. If you suffer from any medical conditions that may affect you or your participation on this workshop, please inform us about this at the time of your booking. You are responsible for bringing any prescription medication you may need. We accept noresponsibility for any medical conditions, illnesses or related incidents that may occur during your workshop, even if we have been fully informed about your condition.
RA Photography / ABG Marketing / Robbie Aspeling and its staff accept no liability or responsibility for any damage, injury or loss of any kind whatsoever, including but not limited to death, disability, property theft or damage, cancellation of your workshop or any other such incident as may arise on your workshop. By booking your workshop, you agree that you are aware of the inherent risks associated with travel and you further agree to indemnify RA Photography / ABG Marketing / Robbie Aspeling from any claim or liability which may result from any kind of loss or accident which may occur during or after or as a result of your workshop. You are participating on this workshop/safari entirely at your own risk.
The cost does vary according to the season but is approxiamately R 7995.00 sharing per photographer and R 4995.00 per non photographer partner. There may be a single supplement which will be confirmed at time of booking.